We all dreamed of our version of the perfect body, and the perfect diet plan to help us achieve our aesthetic goals. But, following that path can be discouraging, puzzling, and a bit pricey! Before going down that road, researching the most suitable diet plan for you is extremely important as weight loss is 75% diet, and 25% exercise. Many experts will even argue that it’s actually 90% diet to only 10% exercise.
HCG (Human chorionic gonadotropin) or “the pregnancy hormone” as known by many, is a natural hormone produced during pregnancy. It tricks the body against storing fat in stubborn places such as the stomach and thighs and tell the brain to mobilize fat stores and bring nutrients into the placenta. In the 1950s, British physician Dr. Albert T.W. Simeons started using HCG injections to treat obesity after he linked between the release of the HCG and a noticeable reduction in appetite and hunger.
What is the HCG diet plan?
There are two main factors contributing to this diet:
- Using HCG injections, droplets, sprays, or pellets, you can pick your favorite and most convenient option for you as long as you take the right dosage every day.
- Going on a very low-calorie diet (VLCD) down to 500-800 calories per day.
Both go hand in hand as the HCG will make the VLCD easily obtainable to the lack of appetite or feeling of hunger. The diet promises a success in losing excess weight up to 30 pounds in only a month after sticking to only two meals a day, each meal has to contain one protein, one vegetable, one bread, and one fruit; and taking the right dose of HCG twice daily.
The Updated Form of The HCG Diet
The very low-calorie intake diet has been discredited a lot as it basically puts your body into starvation mode, so Mehmet Oz on the Dr. Oz Show presented an updated version of the HCG diet. The new version allowed up to 1,500 calories instead of only 500 a day, but it has to be restricted to only certain foods as well. The updated version was introduced for the dieters to take the enough required protein portion to avoid any muscle wasting.
Some people prefer to choose the HCG diet drops instead of the injections to avoid the irritation or bruising at the injection spot, especially for people who have Trypanophobia (needle phobia); the drops are generally cheaper than the injections, which makes them more appealing, and you can still get the same effects of the HCG introduced in the injections.
The Benefits of Going On an HCG Diet
- The diet helps you in losing only stored fat in your body from 1 to 2 pounds per day. And with the right food choices and exercise, you will not lose muscle mass and you can maintain your muscle tone.
- HCG diet will help you in suppressing your appetite and avoiding hunger pains; it triggers the body’s craving for foods that have vitamins which are needed by the body. People who suffer from obesity tend to have a nutritional imbalance, HCG will direct your body into craving healthier foods that are high in the required vitamins.
- One of the greatest benefits of the HCG diet is that it “resets” your metabolism, which will help you to keep off the lost weight forever. During pregnancy, the body needs higher metabolism to process the food ingested for two people instead of one. So after losing the undesired excess weight, you can stop the VLCD and you can maintain your body weight as you will still have a high metabolism.
- HCG acts as a natural hormone balancer which will save you from usual hormone imbalances people suffer from when they lose weight.
Should you go for it?
The controversy of the HCG diet might confuse you, to whether follow it or to stir away from it. Before deciding, you need to do a heavy research on the diet to learn about the best diet plan you need to follow to guarantee losing weight. Many argued that you can lose the sustainable weight loss promised without the HCG shots, which might be true; however, the HCG doses aids in making it easier and less painful to stick to the diet.
There are numerous studies that proved the benefits and the success rate of the HCG diet over the past 60 years that the diet has been available for. Not only that following the HCG diet will help you to lose weight, but it will also help you to keep it off forever, making it a better option overall to give it a try.